Our Educational Mission
Experience is the world’s best teacher. That’s the core of our philosophy, but we don’t leave the education up to experience alone. We elevate the learning with an approach that’s earned us national accreditation and helped to ignite growth for millions of students over more than 50 years.
Accredited, Like Your School
In 1996, WorldStrides became the first student travel company to be accredited by the same regional and national accrediting bodies (see below) as your school. That means we’re held to the same strict academic standards as schools all across the country.
The parent organization for the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement, and the Northwest Accreditation Commission.
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
One of six accrediting bodies in the country, working primarily in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Washington D.C.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
A world-renowned independent accrediting association working with schools primarily in the western United States, including the California Department of Education.
Why Is Accreditation Important for WorldStrides?
Building education and learning into everything we do is key to our mission and purpose. Accreditation
- Determines how we measure against the international standards and reaffirms our commitment to education and differentiates us from our competitors.
- Highlights our strengths as an organization: our commitment to our mission, purpose, and values; our leadership; our strong business acumen; and our ability to provide research-based, targeted, innovative learning experiences for our students.
- Encourages growth and improvement, especially in the ways we evaluate the effectiveness of learning expectations and in technology integration.
Students: Give Yourself Some Credit!
We educate students through authentic enrichment travel encounters with the world beyond the classroom. Enrichment travel for all ages and interests, our experiential content meets students where they are on their educational journey.
- Course Options: Online courses are paired with corresponding travel programs to reflect themes and destinations. Choose courses from your custom menu.
- Eligibility: Students in grades 6-12 at the time of travel are eligible to earn high school credit. Students in grades 9-12 at the time of travel are eligible to earn college preparatory credit.
- Cost: Courses for high school credit are offered at no cost. College preparatory credit fees vary by program. Transcripts for these college preparatory credits are issued through the University of California, San Diego – Extension.
Course Description - Foundations of Leadership
This course captures the personal demonstration of leadership and the continued development of strong character. The coursework encourages students to identify the qualities and appreciate the benefits related to building strong leadership skills through personal examination, a review of historic figures, and an analysis of our current leaders. The course content has students examine the difference between good leadership and great leadership; the degree to which people put the interests of others ahead of their own; ability to coach and mentor others; the inclusion of service as one part of leadership, and the process of making decisions that reflect various perspectives.
Teachers: Earn Professional Development
Teachers who travel with a division of WorldStrides either as a group leader or a chaperone are eligible to earn free professional development hours, points, or units. You will earn a professional development certificate for 5 points/hours or 0.5 CEUs per day you travel. Our Curriculum and Academics team helps identify opportunities to meet your state’s requirements and to develop your portfolio program.
Our Curriculum and Academics team, in conjunction with multiple regional accreditation partners and our university partnership, University of California, San Diego – Extension offers teachers the opportunity to earn graduate credit. For a special educators’ discount, traveling teachers are invited to participate in our online graduate credit course. Email email@example.com for more information.
Teachers/Students: Getting Started is Easy!
1. Please register before, during, or after travel to take advantage of academic credit or professional development opportunities.
2. Once you have been registered and contacted by us:
- Teachers: You simply have to travel and we will automatically send you a professional development certificate with the amount of hours/points/CEUs earned based on your program and length of travel.
- Students: You will receive a link to our online learning management system, Schoology. Once you log in, you can work at your own pace to complete all online coursework. Our instructors will provide feedback on your work as you go.
- You will engage in activities that offer options for video responses, opportunities to use photos from your experience, and participate in discussions with your peers.
- You have up to six months from your return date of travel to complete the coursework.
3. Don't miss the chance to enhance your travel experience.